There’s a shaved Brussels sprout salad in our Cookbook (page 68) that’s one of my go-to salads in the fall and/or winter. It has a tangy citrusy dressing and it’s tossed with cranberries and pine nuts. A few weeks ago while I was planning to make that salad for Thanksgiving, I saw a sprout and ricotta toast recipe on Epicurious and got the idea that my favorite little salad would make a bright festive appetizer. Instead of using ricotta cheese to hold the filling onto the toast I used smashed avocado – because I can never resist yet another seasonal avocado toast.
This one is super simple and also pretty healthy as far as holiday fare goes. Assemble the salad (which you can do far in advance, if you like). Before your guests come, toast the toasts, smash the avocado and top each toast with a bit of the salad.
If you’re not having a party, these are equally delicious for lunch with a bowl of soup.
Brussels Sprout Salad Avocado Toasts
- ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- 2 heaping cups shredded Brussels sprouts (about 10 sprouts)
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 4 slices of bread, sliced in half and toasted
- 1 ripe avocado
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, orange juice, Dijon mustard, garlic and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and scallions and toss to coat. Let sit for 10 minutes, then add the cranberries and pine nuts and toss to incorporate. Season to taste.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit. With the avocado still in its shell, use a paring knife to slice each half into cubes. Squeeze some lemon juice and a pinch of salt on both halves. Use a spoon to scoop the avocado out of the shells and onto the toasts, then smash down with the back of a fork.
- Top toasts with the Brussels sprout salad and serve.
Make it vegan: be sure to use vegan bread
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.